What is probate court?
Probate court is a court limited to the jurisdiction of probating wills and administering estates etc. Also called a surrogate court as well as an orphan court, probate courts also handle issues regarding minors as well. Depending on where you live, each probate court has its own individual matters which it handles as well as its own particular fees relating to these matters. In Gaylord MI, the Otsego Country County Probate Court handles the following matters in regard to the law:
- Estate processing in Otsego County with and without a will and including small estates
- Appointment of guardians and conservators of minors and adults without the ability to manage their own
- Name changes for minors and adults
- Paternity cases regarding children born out of wedlock
- Trust dispute resolution
- Performs secret marriages
- Commits mentally ill people to mental health facilities
- Order treatment for contagious people who refuse treatment
- Minor emancipation
- Bypassing parental consent for minors seeking abortion
Other issues which would be handled by probate courts are those regarding life support as well as handling safekeeping of wills for per persons requesting it. In Atlanta for example, anyone who wishes to deposit their last will and testament for safekeeping to the court, can do so for a cost of $25. When dealing with important documents such as wills, it is also a good idea to contact an attorney skilled in this type of document preparation, such as Harris Law, to be sure you have worded them correctly and that they abide by the areas rules and regulations of your area. As previously mentioned, the costs for these matters do vary from county to county and court to court. By contacting your court specifically, you can get the forms required and learn the fees associated with them.
If you live in Crawford County, Otsego County or Montmorency County, you can follow the link below to learn more about the probate court in your area.
Harris Law Is a Probate Attorney in Gaylord MI
Harris Law has been working with matters in the probate courts since 2007. If you are in need of a qualified probate attorney in Gaylord MI, contact us for your free consultation online or call us 231.347.4444 to find out how we can help.